iits All about m3!!

My photo
im a very down to earth person and can usually get along with anyone lol

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Reflective Synopsis

Throughout this journey I have been involved in a number of different technologies and have learnt how to use these new tools in order to increase my learning abilities. I was already familiar with some of these technologies although this journey has helped expand my knowledge and understanding of how they work and the most effective way in which to use these tools.

All through my journey I have learned about the engagement theory, RSS Aggregators, WIKIS, E Portfolios, Voki Avatars, PowerPoint, Flickr, Class maker, Google earth, Picnik, You tube, podcasting, webquest, slideshow and then voice threads.

My favourite technology I have learned to use in my journey would be both picnik and Google earth. I found picnic very interesting as since I am digital native I am continuously using technology including taking lots and lots of photos. These photos can me of me or my friends and family, now that I am aware of how to properly use picnik I will be able to continue fixing and editing my photos. I enjoyed Google earth so much as I am very interested in the world and plan on spending some time traveling when I am able. I liked how Google earth showed such a precise and clear picture of the town or address you selected.

Although these would be my favourite two new technology internet tools I found all of these programs very interesting and helpful. Using different frameworks as a basis for examining and analysing the different tools also increased my own higher order thinking. These tools would be very useful in class rooms today as they would dramatically improve students learning by engaging them and keeping them interested in what they are learning.

Today's technology allows students to participate in learning experiences that involve active cognitive processes, such as creating, problem-solving, reasoning, decision-making and evaluating (Kearsley, & Shneiderman, 1999). All these technologies can be included into general classroom lessons rather than separate subjects and therefore can help all students.

Technology is continuing to expand and evolve and it is up to us to make sure we keep up with the ever changing tools used. Lucky for me I am known as a digital native which means that I have been born into technology and grown up with it, therefore understanding it better then what perhaps a digital native might, who has had to try and adapt to the new technologies around today (Prensky, 2004).

I have really enjoyed this class and assignment and will continue to use these new tools ive learnt in the future.

References
Kearsley, G.,& Shneiderman, B. (1999) Engagement theory: a framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved 1 August 2009 from, http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Prensky, M (2001) Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. Downloaded July 2009 from http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%

No comments:

Post a Comment